8.07.2004

Prepare the Monkey-Helmets!

Well, I've had an interesting week of job interviewing, studying for my Greek test, and doing some reading for seminary. I still don't have a definitive answer on the job, but hopefully will find out for sure soon. I can't believe we've been here for two weeks already! It's insane, we miss everyone back home so much. We've got a couple of churches we might go to on Sunday, either the VCF of Scottsdale or another one called Highlands. Hopefully we'll get into a home group soon, and get to know some people down here. It's kinda lonely. Actually, we think even Puppy is lonely, he must miss having all the attention, or at least miss seeing different shoes and getting to eat some of them.

I am actually having a hard time putting down one of my textbooks, it's an overview of theology over the past 2000 years. I just finished the section on the patristic period (up through about 450AD). It was really, really cool. One of the problems I think we have as moderns is that we think the ancients were stupid, so we don't take the effort to read and learn what's already been debated and decided in the church. So many of the heresies which are common today (and some which I think are too common and too tolerated, unfortunately) are really, really old. I'll have some more to write on this, but someone's in line behind me to use the computer, so....

We should have internet access in our apartment starting tuesday, so that'll mean more blogging and other internet communications...

2 comments:

Michael said...

Ahh, Chronological Snobbery (as Lewis put it)....such a common fallacy. An idea is old, and therefore it is stupid. Such crap. You'll find it everywhere all the time, it's bred into us as we grow up. Even just the word "primitive" or "savage" is built into this logic. If people don't have TVs, how can they know the Lord? Hehe.

The myth of progress. We are always improving. We are always better than before.

Glad to hear you're having a good time there. We're keeping you guys in our prayers (actually, I can't say for other people, but i assume they are.)

Unknown said...

Yeah Mike, I hear you. Actually, I recently read a book by Os Guinness called _Prophetic Untimeliness: A challange to the idol of relevance_ which really hit on this issued of chronological snobbery as well. For example, it used to be that terms like barbarian or savage had more to do with where someone lived or what language they spoke, whereas it came to refer more to the time period in which they lived. This makes me think of a deep thought: "We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." Anyways, I'm into the next section of that Historical Theology book...Did you know some savages in the Scholastic movement once debated whether God could have become a cucumber instead of a man? That question has never been answered satisfactorily, I think I've found something to do my dissertation on...