5.31.2006

pleonasm, n.

The use of more words than are necessary to express an idea; as, "I saw it with my own eyes."


I fear that 95% of the things I say fit this definition.

Ironically, the word of the day is well-matched to the quote of the day:

"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible." - George Burns

My friend John Mitchell is giving me an opportunity to teach at Poeima Church (www.poiemachurch.com) at the start of July. I promise to avoid being pleonastic, though I may still be sesquipedalian.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Pleonasms are useful sometimes but other times aren't useful. Like when a senator doesn't want a bill to pass and they talk for hours (like a "harangue"). Pleonasms can sometimes be of use, but in other situations they aren't that useful. Also, pleonasms are occasionally beneficial to underscoring a point, while not being useful for other situations. In addition, you may enjoy using pleonasms, or maybe not, this is up to you and the audience's reaction.

Anonymous said...

This comment makes me laugh.

Lee: I'm glad you are blogging!

Unknown said...

Mike, I hope that somehow your comment on pleonasm makes it way into a future version of the OED. It's a perfect bit of irony (which are more interesting, but also more difficult to eat, than bits o' honey).

Anonymous, I'm glad I'm blogging too. I will post something more today too, I promise!